Wellbeing at Longsight Community Primary
At LCP we know that children learn best when they are happy and healthy. We want our pupils to be confident and learn to cope with the ups and downs of everyday life.
Our teachers use a simple wellbeing assessment to check:
- Do children seem happy in school?
- Are children enjoying learning?
This helps us know if children are settled and ready to learn.
How we help children to be happy and confident:
- We work with all children in their own class to build their confidence in speaking aloud and valuing what others say. We also help them understand and name their own feelings and the feelings of others.
- We run small groups working on friendship skills, resilience and self-esteem. These groups are lots of fun and can help children deal with normal childhood worries such as feeling shy, anxious or unsettled in school.
- Some children might also get 1:1 support from a TA or play therapist.
- Occasionally, a parent/carer or teacher may have serious concerns about a child’s wellbeing or mental health. In this case, we will work with parents to get appropriate professional support.